- With a sizable 24% stake in Rinat Akhmetov’s iron ore producer Metinvest, Vadim Novinsky is the owner of the Ukrainian Smart Holding Group.
- His involvement in Ukraine began in the mid-1990s when he collaborated with the Russian oil producer Lukoil. Later, he diversified by acquiring Ukrainian metallurgy companies.
- When considering Vadym Novinsky assets, it is essential to acknowledge his diverse roles and contributions across business, religious, and political spheres.
- Novinsky, originally from Russia, obtained Ukrainian citizenship in 2012 and has been serving as a member of parliament since 2013.
- Despite being regarded as one of Ukraine’s billionaires with a connection to Russia, he attempted to facilitate negotiations with Russia before the invasion.
- In February 2022, Novinsky, accompanied by Akhmetov, visited Mariupol. Although he briefly returned to Kyiv, reports suggest he left shortly before the invasion. He is currently suspected to be in Estonia.
Vadym Novinsky, a Ukrainian entrepreneur, clergyman, and former politician of Armenian descent, is recognized as the proprietor of the Ukrainian Smart Holding Group, boasting an estimated net worth of $1.9 billion as of March 2013.
Beyond his business endeavors, Novinsky serves as a protodeacon in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, actively participating in peacebuilding initiatives in Ukraine since 2014. Notably, his association with the Russian Orthodox Church and his involvement in the energy and steel sectors have led to sanctions imposed by the Ukrainian government.
In addition to his religious and peacebuilding roles, Novinsky has a political background, having been a member of the Ukrainian Parliament.
Portfolio of Vadym Novinsky assets
Luxurious mansions and Land Plots
Vadym Novinsky possesses a diverse real estate portfolio that includes land plots and apartments. Based on accessible data, he holds two land plots covering 2,257 and 50,400 m2, along with three apartments spanning 667, 586, and 136 m2. Furthermore, he owns a garage measuring 51 m2. In addition to these holdings, his family is in possession of a 57,879 m2 land plot, three apartments measuring 57, 171, and 184 m2, and another piece of real estate totaling 453 m2.
Vadym Novinsky possesses a collection of upscale properties, including residences and land holdings. In Russia, he owns three apartments and a house. Additionally, he holds four land plots covering a total area of 10.8 hectares. In Ukraine, Novinsky has two apartments and a 1,840-square-meter house located in Koncha-Zaspa, a historic neighborhood in Kyiv. Furthermore, he owns four plots with a combined area of 4,500 square meters.
While the precise value of these properties is not disclosed in the available information, it is noteworthy that Novinsky has a particular interest in Christian icons. His collection comprises over 40 icons spanning the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries. Unfortunately, specific details about the distinctive features of his properties are not provided in the sources.
Although the exact value of Vadym Novinsky’s apartments and land plots is not explicitly stated, the available information primarily emphasizes the quantity and locations of his properties rather than offering specific valuation details.
Vadym Novinsky is engaged in multiple business ventures, notably:
Smart Holding Group: Novinsky owns the Ukrainian Smart Holding Group, valued at approximately $1.9 billion as of March 2013. The group operates across diverse industries, spanning energy and steel sectors.
Metinvest: As the primary shareholder, Novinsky holds a significant stake in Metinvest, a Ukrainian company specializing in steel and mining.
Smart Holding Group
Smart Holding stands as one of Ukraine’s largest production and investment groups, uniting companies with shared strategic goals and business principles. The group concentrates on vital sectors of the nation’s economy, including metals and mining, oil and gas, agriculture, shipbuilding, real estate, and various portfolio investments.
Since 2005, Smart Holding’s capital investments have exceeded USD 2.5 billion. The group is not only a major player in the economic landscape but also actively participates in humanitarian and charitable endeavors. The Charitable Foundation in Honour of Intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God, supported by Smart Holding, is dedicated to projects in culture and spirituality.
In recent times, Smart Holding has been engaged in efforts to recover assets that were seized from the former owner, Vadym Novynskyi. The contention is that these assets no longer belong to Novynskyi, as he had completely divested himself of ownership before Ukraine imposed sanctions on him. The group is resolute in its commitment to pursuing these assets through legal channels.
Metinvest, an international conglomerate, operates steel and mining entities across five countries: Ukraine, Italy, Bulgaria, the UK, and the US. Engaging in mining, iron ore, coal, and steel production, the company is backed by major shareholders SCM and Smart Holding, involved in collaborative management.
- Global Ranking: Metinvest holds a significant 42nd position among the world’s top steel companies.
- Steelmaking Capacity: Boasting a substantial annual production of 15 million tonnes.
- Iron Ore Producer: Recognized globally among the top 10 in 2021.
- Strategic Locations: Facilities strategically positioned near major transport hubs for efficient global product distribution.
- Sales Network: Metinvest’s offices span four continents – Europe, Asia, Africa, and North America.
- Growth: Strategic acquisitions include a 100% stake in Lehman-Ukraine LLC.
Overview of Wealth of Vadym Novinsky
According to the Kyiv Post, Vadym Novinsky’s net worth is estimated at $2.4 billion as of November 2021. However, the exact figure isn’t explicitly stated in other sources.
Novinsky primarily earns income through his ownership of the Ukrainian Smart Holding Group and his engagement in the energy and steel sectors.
In addition to his business ventures, Novinsky is active in philanthropy through the Vadim Novinsky Foundation. This foundation reportedly supports medical and rehabilitation centers. Moreover, since 2014, Novinsky has contributed to peacebuilding initiatives in Ukraine.
In summary, as of November 2021, Vadym Novinsky’s net worth is approximately $2.4 billion, derived mainly from his ownership of the Ukrainian Smart Holding Group and involvement in the energy and steel sectors. Furthermore, he actively participates in philanthropy through the Vadim Novinsky Foundation and has been engaged in peacebuilding efforts in Ukraine since 2014.